The first Wando was probably named for a river in South Carolina that flows southwest between Charleston and Berkeley Counties before it empties into Charleston harbor.
(Sidewheel Steamer: displacement 645 tons; length 230'; beam 26'; draft 7'; armament 1 20-pounder Parrot rifle, 1 12-pounder, 1 12-pounder rifle)
Wando—a side-wheel steamer built in 1864 at Glasow, Scotland—was captured at sea off Cape Rosmain, .C., by Union side-wheel steamer Fort Jackson on 21 October 1864 as she attempted to slip away from the Confederate coast laden with cotton. The former blockade runner had sailed under British colors as Let Her Rip until May 1864 when the Chicora Import & Export Co. of Charleston, S.C., had purchased the vessel and renamed her Wando. The Navy purchased the ship from the Boston prize court on 5 November 1864; and commissioned her at the Boston Navy Yard on 22 December 1864, Acting Master Frederick T. King in command.
Late in December, Wando proceeded south for duty with the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron. She arrived at Port Royal on 5 January 1865 and was stationed on blockade duty off Charleston in February.
Wando departed Charleston on 11 February and joined in amphibious operations against the Confederate fort and batteries at Andersonville, Bull's Bay, S.C., lasting from 13 to 17 February. The fort and batteries were silenced, prompting the evacuation of Charleston on the 18th. In March, Wando joined the blockading force off Georgetown, S.C., and then returned to Charleston in April.
Wando remained at Charleston until ordered north to the New York Navy Yard on 28 July 1865. She was decommissioned there on 10 August 1865 and was sold at public auction on 30 November 1865 to H. Allen
29 April 2005