(Fleet Tug No. 26: dp. 795; l. 156'8"; b. 30'; dr. 14'7" (mean); s. 13 k.; cpl. 25; a. none; cl. Algorma)
The first Wandank (Fleet Tug No. 26) was laid down on 7 April 1919 at Buffalo, N.Y., by the Ferguson Steel and Iron Co.; launched on 21 October 1919; and commissioned on 23 March 1920, Boatswain O. Rhode in temporary command, pending the turnover to Lt. S. J. Drellishak in April.
Assigned to the 5th Naval District, Wandank operated out of Norfolk until placed out of commission on 31 March 1922. Recommissioned on 8 May of the same year, Wandank continued to provide tug services out of Norfolk for the Atlantic Fleet in the Hampton Roads-Virginia capes area until transferred to Boston on 8 October 1940 for special duty in the 1st Naval District.
She operated out of Boston on coastal towing duties throughout World War II. Her duties included towing yard oilers and other small craft and participating in the towing of Wake field (AP-21) which had been severely damaged by fire in September 1942. On 15 May 1944, her designation was changed to ATO-26.
Decommissioned on 20 September 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 13 November of that year, she was transferred to the Maritime Commission on 17 July 1947 and simultaneously delivered to W. A. Bisso, of New Orleans, La. She served the New Orleans Coal and Bisso Towboat Co. as W. A. Bisso until 1971