A Natick Indian word meaning "wind."
(YT-138: dp. 325 (f.); l. 100'0"; b. 25'0"; dr. 11'5" (max.); s. 13 k.; cpl. 11; a. 2 .50-cal. mg.; cl. Woban)
Woban (YT-138) was laid down on 25 September 1939 at Bremerton, Wash., by the Puget Sound Navy Yard; launched on 6 November 1939; and completed on 14 February 1940.
Assigned to the 13th Naval District upon completion and delivery, Woban operated out of the Puget Sound Navy Yard, performing local tug and tow services for ships of the Pacific Fleet well into World War II. By the end of hostilities, the harbor tug had been assigned to the 17th Naval District and operated in Alaskan waters until March 1946, when she returned to the 13th Naval District. During her World War II career, the ship was reclassified a large harbor tug, YTB-138, on 15 May 1944.
Woban conducted her harbor operations out of Puget Sound through the end of the 1940's and was reassigned to the 17th Naval District by 1953. She later operated put of San Diego, performing district tug and tow services in the 11th Naval District for the remainder of her career. During that time, she was reclassified again to a medium harbor tug, YTM-138, in February 1962.
Taken out of service in early 1967, Woban was struck from the Navy list on 1 February 1967 and sold soon thereafter