Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Winnetka

 

(YTB-376: dp. 325; l. 102'2"; b. 24'; dr. 10'; s. 12.5 k.; cl. Allaquippa)

 

Winnetka (YTB-376)Śa harbor tug built in 1944 at Port Arthur, Tex., by the Gulfport Boiler & Welding Works, Inc.Śwas placed in service on 28 June 1944. She departed Galveston, Tex., on 18 July and proceeded via the Panama Canal to the Pacific. The tug served for some time at Pearl Harbor but, by the beginning of 1945, had moved west to the Mariana Islands for operations principally at Guam and Saipan. She was later reassigned to the naval base at Iwo Jima in the Volcano-Bonins chain and served there until January 1946 when she ran aground on Iwo Jima. Damaged beyond economic repair and not economically salvageable, Winnetka was abandoned where she lay. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 19 July 1946