Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Wahneta

 

A variant spelling of Waneta, a Yanktonai Sioux Indian. Born about 1795 in what is now Brown County, S. Dak., he joined his father in siding with the British during the War of 1812. He fought at Fort Meigs and Sandusky and was wounded in the latter battle. After the war, the British rewarded Waneta for his loyalty by presenting him with a captain's commission. He subsequently visited England and remained sympathetic to the British until 1820, when an abortive expedition against Fort Snelling resulted in his change of heart. Thereafter, he gave wholehearted support to American interests. A dominant chief of the Sioux tribe, Waneta signed a trade treaty with the Americans on 25 July 1825; and, on 17 August of that year, he signed the Treaty of Prairie du Chien which fixed the boundaries of Sioux territory. He died in 1848 at the mouth of the Warreconne, the present Beaver Creek, in Emmons County, N. Dak.

 

I

 

(Yard Tug No. 1: dp. 192; Ibp. 92'6"; b. 20'11½"; dr. 8'; s. 11.5k.)

 

Wahneta (Yard Tug No. 1) was laid down in April 1891 at Boston, Mass., by the City Point Iron Works; launched on 3 March 1892 and subsequently was placed in service and assigned to the 5th Naval District.

 

Stationed at the Norfolk Navy Yard, the tug engaged in the unglamorous but vital tug, tow, and generalharbor duties. In February 1893, she served as a seagoing observation platform off Port Royal, S.C. From her deck, observers watched test firings of "dynamite gun cruiser" Vesuvius' guns—15-inch pneumatic rifles. Returning to her routine work soon thereafter, the tug remained based at Norfolk from 1893 to 1922, through both the Spanish-American and First World Wars. On 17 July 1920, the ship was designated YT-1. Subsequently placed out of service at Norfolk on 4 August, the venerable yard craft was sold on 6 December 1922 to the Norfolk Lighterage Company.