A former Awami village at the base of the rock known as "The Three Brothers," in Yosemite Valley, Mariposa County, California. It is also the name of the rock itself.
(YTB-526: dp. 310 (f.); l. 101l'0"; b. 28'0"; dr. 11'0"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 10; cl. Sassaba)
Wahaka (YTB-526) was laid down on 2 June 1945 at Jacksonville, Fla., by the Gibbs Gas Engine Co., Inc.; launched on 9 September 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Charles Strohmeyer, wife of Lt. Charles Strohmeyer, an officer who was attached to the Industrial Manager's Office, Jacksonville, Fla.; and completed on 3 December 1945.
Allocated to the 11th Naval District, San Diego, Calif., upon completion, Wahaka was briefly placed in reserve before being activated once more in December of 1947 for service in the 6th Naval District. She operated out of Charleston, S.C., through the 1950's, providing tug and tow service as well as pilot assistance. In 1962—the same year in which the ship was reclassified as a medium harbor tug (YTM-526)—the versatile workhorse harbor craft was assigned to Advanced Bases, Atlantic Area. She remained active in that assignment into 1979