(SwGbt.: t. 209; dr. 5'; s. 6 mph.; a. 1 heavy 12-pdr. sb.)
The first Volunteer—originally a Confederate steamer captured off Natchez Island, Miss., by Fort Hindman on 25 November 1863—was purchased by the Navy from the Springfield, III., prize court on 29 February 1864.
Volunteer was assigned to the Mississippi Squadron and performed valuable service as a patrol, dispatch, and tow steamer. Her one major engagement during the war occurred on 14 April 1864 when she helped to drive off a Confederate force which was attacking Fort Pillow, Tenn. After the end of the war in April 1865, Volunteer convoyed naval stores up and down the Mississippi River as Union naval forces in the West deactivated. That summer, she was decommissioned and laid up at Mound City, III., and was sold at public auction there to B. F. Goodwin on 29 November.