(MB: t. 25; 1. 60'0"; b. 11'8"; dr. 2'11' (mean); cpl. 8; a. 1 1-pdr., 1 mg.)
Velocipede (SP-1258)—a motor boat constructed at Morris Heights, N.J., by the Charles L. Seabury Co.— was acquired by the Navy on 27 October 1917 under free lease from Mr. K. C. Atwood, Jr., of New York City, N.Y., for use as an aeronautical patrol boat; and commissioned on 14 November 1917.
Assigned to the 7th Naval District, Velocipede served on patrol duties at the Naval Air Station, Miami, Fla., until after the armistice had ended hostilities on 11 November 1918. She remained in Navy hands until 6 February 1919 when she was returned to her owner.