An island lying in Puget Sound, Wash., between the cities of Seattle and Tacoma. In 1792, the British sea captain, Capt. George Vancouver, named the island for his friend, Capt. James Vashon.
(YFB-19: dp. 20 (It.) ; 1. 65'; b. 17'; dr. 5'; cl. Vashon)
Vashon (YFB-19) was a wooden-hulled ferryboat completed at the Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Wash., in April 1941. Placed in service in the spring of 1941, Vashon operated as a ferry craft attached to the 13th Naval District through World War II. Placed out of service, in reserve, in March 1948, Vashon was subsequently sold in July 1958. No details of her subsequent fate have been found.