A Spanish feminine adjective meaning "wandering" or "roving."
(YTB-374: displacement 320 tons(full load) ; 1ength 102'0"; beam 25'0"; draft l0'0"; complement 12; speed 12 knots; class Allaquippa)
The second Vaga (YT-374) was laid down on 21 March 1944 at Port Arthur, Tex., by the Gulfport Boiler and Iron Works, under a contract from the General Motors Corp.; launched on 6 May 1944; re-classified YTB-374 on 15 May 1944; and completed and delivered to the Navy on 31 May 1944.
Placed in service soon thereafter, Vaga was initially allocated to the 14th Naval District and proceeded to the Hawaiian Islands to perform tug and tow services and to provide waterfront fire protection at the important Pacific Fleet base at Pearl Harbor. Subsequently placed out of service, in reserve, at San Diego, with the Pacific Reserve Fleet, in March 1946, Vaga remained inactive through the late 1950's.
Reactivated in January 1961 and reclassified YTM-374 in February 1962, Vaga resumed her harbor tug duties at San Diego, Calif., with the service force of the Pacific Fleet. For the next decade, she operated out of that port until taken out of service and struck from the Navy list on 1 October 1972. She was sold for scrap to United Transportation Co. on 11 September 1973.
29 April 2005