Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Trollope

 

Henry Trollope—born on 20 April 1756 in Buckle-bury, Berkshire, England—entered the Royal Navy in April 1771 and served on the coast of North America in Captain and Asia. He helped cover the retreat of British troops from Concord and participated in the Battle of Bunker Hill. During the War of American Independence, he served with distinction on the American coast and in the English Channel.

 

Following the return of peace, Trollope lived in Wales for eight years before returning to sea in 1790 as commanding officer of Prudente. Rising steadily in rank during the war with France, he displayed outstanding leadership, wisdom and courage during the mutiny which broke out in the fleet in May 1797, first persuading his own ship's rebellious crew to return to duty and then inducing the mutineers of two other men-of-war to obey orders. The following October, Trollope reached the high point of his combat service as his ship Russell fought with great valor in the Battle of Camperdown. Admiral Trollope spent most of the years after Waterloo in retirement and died on 2 November 1839.

 

__________

 

Trollope (DE-566)—a Buckley-class destroyer escort built for the United Kingdom under lend-lease—was laid down on 29 September 1943 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem Steel Co.; launched on 20 November 1943; and delivered to the Royal Navy on 10 January 1944 and commissioned the same day.

 

The "Captain"-class frigate served the Royal Navy in the English Channel and off Normandy during 1944. After less than six months of service, her career was cut short when she ran aground near Arromanches-les-Bains, France, on 6 July 1944. Assessed as a total con-constructive loss, she was officially returned to the United States Navy on 10 October 1944.

 

Her name was struck from the Navy list on 13 November 1944. She was sold to John Lee of Belfast on 9 January 1947, and she was scrapped in 1951.