Counties in Indiana and Tennessee.
The Tennessee county is named for Capt. Jacob Tipton, a native of North Carolina who was killed on 4 November 1791 during a battle on a branch of the Wabash River near Ft. Wayne, Ind., between United States troops led by Major General Arthur St. Glair and a confederated Indian army composed primarily of Miami Indians.
The Indiana county was named for Senator John Tipton, a veteran of the Indian Wars and the War of 1812, who represented Indiana in the United States Senate from 1832 until shortly before his death on 5 April 1839.
(AKA-215: dp. 7,125; 1. 338'6"; b. 50'0"; dr. 21'1"; s. 11.5 k. (tl.); cpl. 85; a. 1 3"; cl. Alamosa; T. C1-M-AV1)
Tipton (AKA-215) was laid down under Maritime Commission Contract (MC hull 2169) on 28 December 1944 at Sturgeon Bay, Wis., by the Leathern D. Smith Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 13 March 1945; sponsored by Mrs. W. F. Maister; transferred to the Navy Department on 7 September 1945; and commissioned on 9 October 1945, Lt. Comdr. H. E. Gray, USCGR, in command.
Upon commissioning, the cargo ship was transferred to the custody of the Coast Guard for maintenance and operation and was manned by a Coast Guard crew. Tipton was decommissioned and permanently transferred to the Coast Guard on 4 March 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 20 March 1946.