A large and prominent Salish Indian tribe which occupied the shores of Tillamook Bay and its tributary rivers in northwestern Oregon.
(Tug No. 16: dp. 415; 1. 122'6"; b. 24'0"; dr. 12'10" (mean); s. 10.55 k.; cpl. 20; a. 2 3-pdrs.)
The first Tillamook (Tug No. 16) was laid down on 6 January 1914 at Seattle, Wash., by the Seattle Construction & Dry Dock Co.; launched on 15 August 1914 and placed in service soon thereafter.
The tug steamed south to San Francisco and reported to the Commandant, 12th Naval District, for duty at the Mare Island Navy Yard. Tillamook served her entire 33-year Navy career towing and assisting ships at Mare Island. During her service, the tug changed designations three times. On 17 July 1920, when the Navy adopted the system of alpha-numeric hull designations, she became AT-16. Almost 16 years later, on 31 January 1936, a number of old tugs previously classified as ocean tugs were reclassified as yard craft, and Tillamook became YT-122. She received her final classification—as a medium harbor tug, YTM-122— on 13 April 1944. Following that, she served three more years at Mare Island before she was placed out of service and turned over to the Maritime Commission for disposal on 28 April 1947.