A village in Essex County, N.Y., on La Chute River, 100 miles north of Albany. The name is an Iroquois Indian term which means "between two lakes" and refers to Lake George and Lake Champlain. Here, the French built a fort called Carillon in 1755, but it was captured four years later by British troops under General Amherst. Early in the American Revolution, on 10 May 1775, Ethan Allen and his "Green Mountain Boys" captured the fort from the British. General Sir John Burgoyne recaptured the fort in May 1777, holding it until his surrender at Saratoga, N.Y., on 17 October 1777.
(CG-47: dp. 8,910; 1. 563'; b. 55'; dr. 29'; s. 30+ k.; a. 1 mis. In., 2 5", 2 Phalanx, Standard missile, Harpoon, ASROC, 6 15.5" tt.; cl. Ticonderoga)
The fifth Ticonderoga (CG-47) was laid down on 21 January 1980 at Pascagoula, Miss., by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Division of Litton Industries and was scheduled to be launched in March 1981. Her projected delivery date was January 1983.