Edward Terry—born at Hartford, Conn., on 24 January 1839—was appointed midshipman at the Naval Academy on 21 September 1853 and graduated on 10 June 1857. He served in the sloop Germantown, attached to the East India Squadron, from 1857 to 1859. By 1861, he was assigned to the steam sloop Richmond and served in her with the Western Gulf Blockading Squadron throughout the Civil War. He participated in the engagement with the Confederate ram Manassas on 12 October 1861, the artillery duel with Fort McRae and other shore batteries on 22 November, the passage of Forts Jackson and St. Philip, and the capture of New Orleans in late April 1862.
After New Orleans, Farragut's force moved up the Mississippi, and Terry was present when the salt water fleet ran the gauntlet at Vicksburg and joined Flag Officer C. H. Davis' riverine fleet above the Southern stronghold. In January 1863, Terry was promoted to lieutenant commander. On 14 March, his ship joined others of the fleet in bombarding the batteries surrounding Port Hudson so that Farragut could dash past them and establish a blockade cutting the Confederacy's Red River supply line. In his last major engagement, the Battle of Mobile Bay on 5 August 1864, Terry helped to close the last major Conferederate port on the Gulf of Mexico.
Following the Civil War, Terry alternated between sea duty and a series of shore assignments at the Naval Academy. In 1866 and 1867, he served in the Pacific Squadron in the steam frigate Powhatan. His first tour of duty at the Naval Academy followed in 1868 and 1869. He assumed his first command, Saco, in 1870 and cruised with the Asiatic Fleet until 1872. During that assignment, on 30 October 1871, he was promoted to commander. He returned to the Naval Academy in 1873 and, by 1875, was appointed Commandant of Cadets,
(Torpedo Boat Destroyer No. 25: dp. 887 (full); 1. 293'10"; b. 26'1˝" (wl.) ; dr. l0'll" (aft) ; s. 30.24 k. (tl.); cpl. 89; a. 5 3", 2 .30-cal. mg., 6 18" tt.; el. Roe)
The first Terry (Torpedo Boat Destroyer No. 25) was laid down on 8 February 1909 at Newport News, Va., by the Newport News Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 21 August 1909; sponsored by Mrs. George Henry Rock; and commissioned on 18 October 1910, Lt. Comdr. Martin E. Trench in command.
Following trials off the east coast, Terry joined the Atlantic Fleet Torpedo Flotilla in winter operations in Cuban waters. She conducted both torpedo exercises with the flotilla and general maneuvers with the Fleet as a whole. The routine of winter maneuvers in the Caribbean alternated with spring and summer operations along the New England coast continued until November 1913, when the torpedo boat destroyer arrived at Charleston, S.C., for overhaul.
Soon after entering the navy yard there, Terry was placed in reserve. Though still in reserve after her overhaul was completed, Terry continued to be active. During 1914, she cruised the coast of Florida; and, by February 1915, she was back in Cuban waters for winter maneuvers. That summer, Terry steamed as far north as Newport, R.I., to conduct another round of torpedo exercises. Upon completion of the mission, she returned to her base at Charleston.
By 1 January 1916, the torpedo boat destroyer was operating with a reduced complement destroyer division. On the 31st, she cruised with units of the Atlantic Fleet to Key West, Fla. In May, she steamed from there to Santo Domingo. On 10 June, while maneuvering in the inner harbor at Puerto Plata, she struck a reef and settled until the greater part of the main deck was submerged. On the 13th, under the supervision of the commanding officer of Sacramento (Gunboat No. 19), Terry's officers and men joined the staff of a wrecking company in salvage operations. The warship was refloated on 26 July, temporarily repaired by 7 July, and returned to the Charleston Navy Yard on 15 July.
America's entry into World War I saw Terry undergoing extensive repairs at Charleston. Upon completion of the yard work, she began duty patrolling along the Atlantic coast and escorting merchantmen bound for Europe. In January 1918, Terry put to sea for operations with the destroyer force based at Queenstown, Ireland. There, she escorted convoys through the submarine-infested waters surrounding the British Isles. Her tour of duty at Queenstown was a relatively peaceful, though rigorous, one. While she never sighted a German U-boat nor engaged in combat operations, on one voyage she escorted a convoy which lost one ship to a submarine. On another occasion, on 19 March 1918, she assisted Manley (Destroyer No. 74) with casualties after that destroyer was damaged by an accidental depth charge explosion.
In December 1918, Terry returned to the United States; and, after 11 months of extremely limited service, she was decommissioned at the Philadelphia Navy Yard on 13 November 1919. She remained there until she was transferred to the Coast Guard on 7 June 1924. She served in the Coast Guard until 18 October 1930, when she was returned to the Navy and restored on the Navy list in a decommissioned status, listed as a "vessel to be disposed of by sale or salvage." On 2 May 1934, Terry was sold for scrapping. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 28 June 1934.
Terry (DD-25) during builders' trials. Her guns and torpedo tubes have not yet been installed.