The male of various hawks, especially of the peregrine falcon and the goshawk.
(AM-386: dp. 890; 1. 221'1"; b. 32'2"; dr. 10'9"; s. 18.1 k. (tl.); cpl. 117; a. 1 3", 2 40mm.; cl. Auk)
Tercel (AM-386) was laid down on 16 May 1944 by the American Shipbuilding Co., Lorain, Ohio; launched on 16 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J. H. Thompson; and commissioned on 21 August 1945, Lt. Comdr. M. Dent, Jr., USNR, in command.
Following trials in Lake Erie, Tercel headed for the Atlantic via the Great Lakes waterway and the St. Lawrence River. She arrived at Boston on 7 September and was outfitted. Sailing on 2 November, Tercel reached Little Creek, Va., the next day for her shakedown cruise.
Tercel was assigned to Mine Forces, Atlantic Fleet, on 1 January 1946, when that organization was activated. She stood out of Norfolk a week later and conducted exercises in the Chesapeake Bay until 21 March. In April, she was assigned to the Mine Warfare School at Yorktown and supported that establishment until 2 July 1946. The minesweeper conducted local operations and participated in exercises along the eastern seaboard from the Caribbean to New London until 20 July 1951 when she arrived at Charleston, S.C.Tercel stood out of Charleston in early September 1951 for her first deployment to the Mediterranean. While there, she called at Gibraltar and ports in Italy, France, Malta, and Greece. Upon her return to Charleston on 6 February 1952, she resumed her normal east coast routine.
Tercel was again deployed to the Mediterranean from 21 April to 26 October 1953. Then, after approximately eight months of operations in home waters, the mine sweeper was transferred to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet for a preinactivation overhaul. The ship was placed out of commission, in reserve, at Orange, Tex., on 10 November 1954. On 7 February 1955, she was redesignated MSF-386 and reclassified a steel-hulled fleet minesweeper. Tercel was struck from the Navy list on 1 July 1972 and scrapped.