A variant form of the name Tensas, a term derived from the Louisiana Indian tribe Taensa.
(YTB-418: dp. 260 (tl.); 1. 100'; b. 28'; dr. 11'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 10; a. 2 .50-cal mg.; cl. Sassaba)
Tensaw (YTB-418) ex-YT-418, was laid down on 8 August 1944 at the Coast Guard Yard, Curtis Bay, Md.; launched on 11 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Albert G. Mariner, Jr.; and placed in service on 8 March 1945.
Late that month, the new large harbor tug reported to the Commandant of the 5th Naval District at Norfolk. In April, she proceeded via the Panama Canal to the Pacific and arrived at Pearl Harbor on 14 May to begin duties in support of the Pacific Fleet. In June 1945, she steamed, via the Marshalls, to the Marianas where she operated through the end of World War II. After Japan capitulated, the tug continued to serve in the Marianas until the Korean War sent her, via the Philippines, to Japan.
Arriving at Yokpsuka on 7 February 1951, she supported United Nations forces through the armistice in the summer of 1953. She continued in the western Pacific through the 1950's and into the 1960's. Redesignated a medium harbor tug—YTM—in February 1962, she remained with the Pacific Fleet until July 1967 when she was inactivated, and her name was struck from the Navy list. The tug was subsequently slated for disposal by sale, but no record of her final disposition has been found.