Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Tarrant

 

A county in Texas.

 

(AK-214: dp. 7,450; 1. 338'6"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1"; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3"; cl. Alamosa; T. C1-M-AV1)

 

Tarrant (AK-214), was laid down under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2168) on 4 December 1944 by the Leathern D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wise.; launched on 25 February 1945; sponsored by Miss Agnes lareon; and commissioned on 18 September 1945, Lt. Comdr. F. A. Simmons, USCGR, in command.

 

Tarrant and her Coast Guard crew reported to the Commander in Chief, Atlantic Fleet, on 24 September as available for her shakedown cruise. However, since World War II had ended, she was ordered to report to the Commandant, 8th Naval District for disposal.

 

Tarrant reported on 30 September and was decommissioned and returned to the War Shipping Administration on 21 November. Tarrant was struck from the Navy list on 6 December 1945.