(SP-129: t. 85; 1. 112'; b. 15'6"; dr. 6' (aft); s. 14 k.; cpl. 24; a. 1 6-pdr., 2 mg.)
Taniwha (SP-129)—a motor yacht constructed in 1909 at Neponset, Mass., by George Lawley & Sons— was acquired by the United States Navy in 1917 on free lease from Mr. Henry B. Anderson of New York City. Though commissioned on 18 May 1917, she was not formally acquired by the Navy until 29 September 1917.
Assigned to the 3d Naval District, Taniwha operated on section patrol protecting waters near New York City against incursions by enemy forces, particularly submarines. Her service to the Navy continued through the end of hostilities which came on 11 November 1918. She was decommissioned on 4 April 1919, and her name was struck from the Navy list on the same day. She was returned to her owner the following June