Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Tamaque

 

A Delaware chief of the Unalachtigo tribe during the mid-18th century. He was initially friendly to the English; but, after the defeat of General Braddock in 1755, he allied himself with the French during the French and Indian War. In 1762, he renewed his friendship with the English through the governor of Pennsylvania and released all his white prisoners. However, his relations with the English soon soured again during Pontiac's conspiracy, and he resumed raids on frontier settlements. Later, just before his death in about 1770, he came under the influence of Moravian missionaries and became a zealous convert to Christianity.

 

(YN-52:1. 81'0"; b. 21'6"; dr. 10'8")

 

John E. Matton-a tug built in 1939 at Waterford, N.Y., by John E. Matton & Son, Inc.ówas purchased by the Navy on 19 December 1940; converted to a net tender at the New York Navy Yard; renamed Tamaque (YN-52) on 9 January 1941; and placed in service on 28 January 1941 at New York City.

 

On 1 February, Tamaque reported to the Commandant, 1st Naval District, for duty at Boston, Mass. She operated in Boston harbor for the next four years, first as a net tender and later as a harbor tug. On 8 April 1942, she was redesignated YNT-20; and, on 4 August 1945, she was reclassified a medium harbor tug, YTM-741. After almost four years of service, Tamaque was placed out of service at Marginal Wharf, South Boston, Mass., on 20 December 1945. On 21 January 1946, her name was struck from the Navy list. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission on 6 September 1946 for disposal.