An Indian word meaning "it is cloudy."
(YTB-546: dp. 260; 1. 101'; b. 28'; dr. 11'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 10; cl. Hisada)
Takos (YTB-546) was laid down on 10 October 1944 by Ira S. Bushey & Sons, Inc., Brooklyn, N.Y.; launched on 30 July 1945; and commissioned on 11 October 1945.
The large harbor tug was assigned to the New York Navy Yard on 15 November 1945 and operated there until mid-summer of 1946. On 1 August, she got underway for Florida and arrived at Mayport on 13 August. There, Takos was placed out of commission, in reserve, on 3 April 1947.
After the start of the Korean War, Takos was reactivated in November 1950. On 28 December, the tug headed north for duty in the 1st Naval District. In February 1962, Takos was reclassified a medium harbor tug and redesignated YTM-546. She operated in New England waters until 1973 when she was transferred to Norfolk, Va. Here, Takos rendered assistance to fleet units of the 5th Naval District into 1975 when she was assigned to the Inactive Fleet at Norfolk, Virginia, where she remained into late 1979.