Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Tabora

 

Minor planet number 721 of the solar system. Discovered in 1911, the new body was named in 1913 during a conference held in Hamburg, Germany, on board the ocean liner Tabora of the Deutsche Ost Afrika Linie.

 

(AKA-45: dp. 7,000; 1. 426'; b. 58'; dr. 16'; s. 17 k.; cpl. 303; a. 1 5", 8 40 mm.; cl. Artemis; T. S4-SE2-BE-1)

 

Tabora (AKA-45) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1906) on 4 March 1945 at Providence, R.I., by the Walsh-Kaiser Co., Inc.; launched on 3 May 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Arthur W. Devine; and commissioned on 29 May 1945, Lt. Comdr. Olaf C. Erickson, USNR, in command.

 

Tabora departed Boston on 9 June and—after nine days of shakedown training out of Hampton Roads, Va. —headed for France. She arrived at Marseilles on 7 July and, the following week, got underway for Panama. She reached Cristobal on the 28th. Two days later, Tabora transited the canal and steamed toward the Marshall Islands. She arrived at Eniwetok on 22 August and, the next day, pushed on toward the Philippines. Upon arriving at San Fernando, Leyte, on the last day of August, the ship was assigned to the 5th Fleet.

 

Tabora loaded troops and vehicles of the 33d Infantry Division and sailed on 20 September for Japan. She arrived at Wakayama, Honshu, on the 25th; unloaded; and, the next day, began the return trip to the Philippines. She transported another load of occupation troops to Matsuyama, Shikoku, in mid-October. On the 24th, Tabora was assigned to "Magic-Carpet" duty, returning veterans to the United States. On the last day of October, she got underway for Buckner Bay; loaded 340 marines; and sailed for San Francisco.

 

Tabora continued shuttling troops from Pacific bases to the United States until early 1946 when she was scheduled for inactivation. Tabora was decommissioned on 29 May, returned to the Maritime Commission on 30 June, and struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946.