(AMCU-39: dp. 260; l. 159'; b. 23'8"; dr. 5'8"; s. 14.4 k.; cpl. 41; a. 2 20mm.; cl. AMCU-7)
The fourth Sentinel was laid down as LSIL-1052 on 8 February 1944 by the Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich.; launched on 9 March 1944; and commissioned on 21 March 1944.
Following shakedown off the east coast, LSIL-1052 reported for duty in the Atlantic Fleet on 6 May 1944, but was reassigned to the 19th (Pacific) Fleet Amphibious Force on 19 July.
On 4 September, the LSIL anchored in Kwajalein Atoll and remained there until the 8th when she got underway for Eniwetok. Following installation of Army-type radio equipment, LSIL-1052 remained in the area ferrying passengers and carrying mail around Eniwetok Island until 12 October.
That day, LSIL-1052 set course for the Caroline Islands and entered Ulithi Channel on the 21st. The LSIL remained in Ulithi Harbor, ferrying recreation parties for Washington (BB-56), until 9 November when she departed the harbor to rendezvous with Gushing (DD-797) and relieve her of a boat in tow. LSIL-1052 was busy ferrying passengers and delivering mail and aircraft parts in the Carolinas until 25 May 1945, when she sailed for Leyte Gulf.
LSIL-1052 remained at Tacloban, Leyte Gulf, until 22 July, performing there the same services she had rendered at Ulithi, until hostilities ended.
In September, she sailed via the Marshalls for Hawaii. On 1 February 1946, LSIL-1052 stood out of Pearl Harbor and headed for the west coast. After arriving at San Francisco on the 18th, the landing craft proceeded to Astoria, Oreg., where she reported to the 19th Fleet and was decommissioned in September 1946.
On 7 March 1952, LSIL-1052 was reclassified as AMCU-39, and a contract for her conversion into a minesweeper was placed with the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Wash. Conversion began on 1 December 1953 and was completed on 18 May 1954, but the vessel, now designated Sentinel (AMCU-39), saw no further active service. On 7 February 1955, all AMCU's were redesignated MHC's; minehunters, coastal.
Sentinel was struck from the Navy list on 1 January 1960.