Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Seminole

 

A member of a tribe of Muskhogen Indians who lived in Florida until 1843 when they were transferred to the Indian Territory.

 

II

 

(ScTug: t. 122; l. 102'6"; b. 20'; dph. 10'7"; a. 3 guns)

 

The second Seminole an iron-hulled screw tug built in 1879 at Camden, N.J.-was purchased by the Navy as Kate Jones on 6 June 1898 from the Boston Towboat Company; and was commissioned on 23 July 1898.

 

The ship served at the Boston Navy Yard as a general purpose tug during the Spanish-American War and its aftermath. She was decommissioned on 6 September 1898 but remained in service at Boston performing the same type of duty. She was transferred to the War Department on 16 March 1900.