The assurance of safety.
(AMc-103: dp. 195; l. 98'5"; b. 23'6"; dr. 9'; s. 10 k.; a. 2 mg.; cl. Accentor)
Security (AMc-103) was laid down on 29 April 1941 by H.G. Marr, Damariscotta, Maine; launched on 27 September 1941; sponsored by Miss Louise Marr; and placed in service on 11 March 1942, Lt. (jg.) E.G. Rob-bins, Jr., USNR, officer in charge.
Assigned to the 5th Naval District, Security, a wooden-hulled coastal minesweeper, trained at York-town, Va., from 27 March to 11 April; then began operations out of Morehead City, N.C. On 20 May 1944, she was detached from the 5th Naval District and reassigned to the 1st Naval District where she operated into May of 1945. With the end of the war in Europe, however, she was designated for inactivation; and, on 25 July, she was ordered south to the 6th Naval District to await disposal. She arrived at Charleston, S.C., on 8 August and was placed out of service on 16 November. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 28 November, and she was sold, via the Maritime Commission's War Shipping Administration, on 13 August 1946 to Mr. Philip Filetto, Gloucester, Mass.