Probably derived from Secotan, an Algonquin tribe occupying the peninsula between Albermarle Sound and the Pamlico River during the late 16th century.
(YTB-415: dp. 345 (f.) ; l. 100'0" ; b. 25'0"; dr. 9'7" (f) ; s. 12 k. (tl.) ; cpl. 8; cl. Sassaba)
Secota (YTB-415), a large harbor tug, was laid down on 29 April 1944 at the Coast Guard Yard, Curtis Bay, Md.; launched on 4 August 1944; and delivered to the Navy on 23 December 1944.
Secota was assigned to the Pacific Fleet soon after delivery to the Navy. She was at Okinawa in August 1945; visited Tsingtao, China, in July 1946; and replaced YTB-409 at Yokosuka, Japan, on 20 August 1947.
During 1950, Secota visited Hungnam and Pusan, Korea, and her last recorded port of call is Sasebo, Japan, apparently returning to Japan from Korea during the waning days of 1950. Since that time, Secota has been continuously assigned to advanced American bases in the Pacific. In February 1962, she was redesignated a medium harbor tug, YTM-415. As of 1 January 1974, Secota is still active, in service in the Far East.