Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060



Robert R. Scott was born in Massillon, Ohio, on 13 July 1915 and enlisted in the United States Navy on 18 April 1938. Machinist's Mate First Class Scott was assigned to USS California (BB-44) when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941. The compartment containing the air compressor to which Scott was assigned as his battle station was flooded as a result of a torpedo hit. The remainder of the personnel evacuated the space, but Scott refused to leave, saying words to the effect that “This is my station and I will stay and give them air as long as the guns are going.” He was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his heroism.




The name Scott was assigned to DE-241 on 30 June 1942, but was reassigned to DE-214 on 21 December 1942 when DE-241 was renamed Keith (q.v.).




(DE-214: dp. 1,400; l. 306'; b. 37'; dr. 13'6"; s. 23.6 k.; cpl. 213; a. 3 3", 4 40mm., 4 1.1", 10 20mm., 2 dct., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.); cl. Buckley)


Scott (DE-214) was laid down on 1 January 1943 by the Philadelphia Navy Yard; launched on 3 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. George McBride; and commissioned on 20 July 1943, Lt. Comdr. Claude S. Kirkpatrick in command.


After shakedown at Bermuda and post-shakedown repairs at Philadelphia, Scott rendezvoused with her first convoy off Bermuda on 23 September 1943 and escorted it to Curacao. After escorting convoys to New York and back, Scott departed Curacao on 29 October for her first transatlantic convoy voyage to Londonderry, Northern Ireland. She served on the Londonderry-New York convoy route until 4 October 1944, crossing the ocean a total of 16 times without incident. Between voyages, she underwent antisubmarine training at Londonderry or Casco Bay, Maine, and received voyage repairs made necessary by the rough North Atlantic weather. As flagship of Escort Division 17, Scott was usually escort commander for her convoys.


On 1 November 1944, Scott left Norfolk with a slow convoy for the Mediterranean, but was detached on 15 November to assist USS Frament (DE-677) which had been damaged in a collision with the Italian submarine, Luigi Settembrini, off the Azores. She helped search for Italian survivors, and then escorted Frament back to Boston, arriving on 3 December.


Between 14 December 1944 and 16 January 1945, Scott provided training services for submarines in New London, Conn. On the 16th, she departed New London escorting the French submarine, Le Centaure, to Casablanca. After repairs at Bermuda and the Azores, the submarine was safely delivered at Casablanca on 23 February. Scott then escorted two Army dredges from the Azores to Delaware Bay, arriving on 30 March.


Scott next served under the Atlantic Training Command, first at Norfolk and then at Mayport, escorting ships undergoing training and investigating reported submarine contacts. On 18 May, she arrived at Key West for experimental duty with the Naval Research Laboratories, Radar Division, and conducted tests of special equipment until 18 July. She underwent overhaul at New York between 20 July and 18 August, and then refresher training at Guantanamo from 21 August to 3 September. The escort was to have been converted to APD-64, but due to the end of the war, the much-delayed conversion was cancelled on 10 September 1945.


Scott spent most of the next two months at Casco Bay, Maine, except for four days at Charleston in early October and Navy Day at Newburgh, N.Y., at the end of the month. The escort arrived at Green Cove Springs, Fla., on 21 November 1945 for inactivation and was decommissioned there on 3 March 1947 and placed in reserve. Scott was struck from the Navy list on 1 July 1965 and was sold on 20 January 1967 to Southern Scrap Metals Co., New Orleans, for scrapping.