Counties in New York, Illinois, and Missouri.
(AK-209: dp. 7,125; l. 338'6"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1"; s. 11.5k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3", 6 20mm.; cl. Alamosa)
Schuyler (AK-209) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2163) on 27 May 1944 by Leathern D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wis.; sponsored by Miss Marilyn Hughes; acquired by the Navy on 20 June 1945; and commissioned on 13 July 1945, at Galveston, Texas, Lt. B. G. Fold, USNR, in command.
Schuyler loaded cargo at Gulfport, Miss., and Mobile, Ala., and sailed from the latter port on 9 August 1945 for the Pacific. She arrived at Leyte on 28 September; but, due to the end of the war, neither the cargo nor the ship was required there. She remained in the Philippines until the cargo was purchased by the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration for distribution in China. The ship then proceeded to Shanghai and discharged her cargo there between 18 January and 22 March. She arrived at Yokosuka on 27 March, was decommissioned and simultaneously returned to the War Shipping Administration on 22 April 1946, and struck from the Navy list on 5 June 1946. After service under charter to the Japanese government, the ship was laid up on 10 December 1954 in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Wash., where she remained until sold on 5 February 1971 for scrapping.