Schenectady (LST-1185) (q.v.) was named after a county and city in New York. She was laid down on 2 August 1968 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 24 May 1969; sponsored by Mrs. Charles E. Goodell; and commissioned on 13 June 1970, Comdr. David E. Sigsworth in command.
Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, Schenectady has alternated amphibious training operations along the west coast of the United States with regular, extended deployments to the Far East. She continues this routine into 1980.
Schenectady earned three battle stars for Vietnam service.