A large city on the east coast of Georgia.
(Galley: 1. 51'9"; b. 15'; d. 5'8"; cpl. 28; a. 1 24-pdr., 5 or 6 how.)
The first Savannah was one of a number of small vessels authorized by an Act of Congress, approved 4 May 1798, to be used as Naval Militia training craft and for harbor defense. The Savannah class was designed by Joshua Humphreys and built at Savannah, Ga., by John Patterson.
The Savannah was placed in service on 20 March 1799, with "Captain of a Galley" John F. Randolph in command. The Galleys were placed under the immediate command of Major General Pinckney on 19 April 1799.
The Savannah was sold out of service on February 1802.
An artist's rendition of the frigate, Savannah, giving an impression of the maze of standing (fixed) and running (movable) rigging that supported a sailing ship's masts and yards and controlled the movement of her sails. This drawing gives a clearer idea of Savannah's hull than do many photographs of the period; the dull black paint used on wooden warships often makes hull detail indistinguishable.