(Sir.: dp. 8,900; l. 360'; b. 51'9"; dr. 24'5"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 219)
Santa Leonora (ID-4352-A) was laid down under the name, Santa Louisa, by the New York Shipbuilding Corp. for W. R. Grace and Co.; was requisitioned by the United States Shipping Board (USSB) in August 1917; renamed Santa Lucia on 29 April 1918; again renamed Santa Leonora on 28 August 1918; launched on 19 December 1918; delivered to the Navy on 7 July 1919; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. Athol H. George, USNRF, in command.
Santa Leonora departed Philadelphia on 15 July and headed for Brest, France, where she embarked homeward-bound veterans. After returning to New York on 29 August, the ship was decommissioned and transferred to the Army for service in the Caribbean. She was reacquired by the Navy from the USSB on 22 November 1921 and renamed Canopus (AS-9) (q.v.).