Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Sanders

 

Eugene Thomas Sanders was born on 15 March 1899 in Hubbard, Oregon. Enlisted in the Army on 16 June 1917, he was discharged on 13 February 1919. On 18 September 1919, he enlisted in the Navy and subsequently served in Brant, 4 December 1932 to 1 June 1934; in Finch, 30 August 1934 to 28 January 1936; at the naval station at Olongapo, Luzon, Philippine Islands, 29 January 1936 to 3 April 1937; and in Cano-pus, 6 April 1937 to 10 March 1938.

 

On 7 May 1940, Chief Boatswain Sanders reported to Arizona (BB-29). Appointed Ensign on 3 November 1941, he died in Arizona during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941.

 

(DE-273: dp. 1,140; l. 289'5"; b. 35'2"; dr. 11'; s. 21.5 k.; cpl. 198; a. 3 3", 4 40mm., 4 20mm., 8 dcp.; cl. Evarts)

 

Sanders (DE-273), named on 23 February 1943, was laid down on 23 April 1943 by the Boston Navy Yard, Boston, Mass.; launched on 4 June 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Eugene Thomas Sanders; and leased to Britain on 30 September 1943.

 

Renamed Grindall (K.477) by Britain, she was returned to the United States on 20 August 1945 and was scrapped on 28 May 1946.

 

(DE-40: dp. 1,140; l. 289'5"; b. 35'2"; dr. 11'; s. 21.5 k.; cpl. 156; a. 3 3", 4 1.1", 9 20mm., 2 dct., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.) ; cl. Evarts)

 

Originally designated for transfer to Britain, B DE-40 was laid down on 7 September 1942 by the Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Wash.; named Sanders on 14 June 1943; reclassified DE-40 on 16 June 1943; launched on 18 June 1943; and commissioned on 1 October 1943, Lt. Comdr. Arthur N. Daniels in command.

 

After shakedown, Sanders participated in patrol and escort duties in the Gilbert and Marshall Islands from January through July 1944, including a bombardment of Kusaie Island on 1 June. She then escorted support shipping to the Marianas from August through October. Following further patrol and escort duties in the Gilbert and Marshall Islands from November through March 1945, she guarded a logistics support group, supplying fast carrier task forces in the western Pacific, from April into June. Sailing via Pearl Harbor, she arrived at San Francisco on 15 July for overhaul.

 

Remaining on the United States west coast, she was decommissioned on 19 December 1945. Struck from the Navy list on 8 January 1946, she was delivered, on 8 May 1947, to the National Metal and Steel Corp., Terminal Island, Calif., and scrapped in 1948.

 

Sanders received four battle stars for World War II service.