A city in California. A former mercantile name retained.
(YFB-34: t. 1,653; l. 225'; b. 42'1"; dph. 17'1" (reg.); a. none)
San Leandro was built during 1923 by Los Angeles Shipbuilding Corp., as a 1,200 hp. ferry for service on the United States west coast. She was originally scheduled to be acquired by the United States Navy and designated YFB-34, but her acquisition was cancelled on 20 May 1942.
San Leandro was actually taken over on 26 May 1945 from her owner, Wilmington Transportation Co., for service based in the 12th Naval District and manned by a civilian crew. She was classified YFB-60 upon acquisition and dropped her name. YFB-60 operated from San Francisco and nearby naval facilities to Kaiser Shipyards, Richmond, Calif., and Marineship.
Corp., Sausalito, Calif. Transferred to the War Shipping Administration on 20 September 1945, YFB-60 was struck from the Navy list on 11 October 1945.
San Luis Rey, Mission see Mission San Luis Rey (AO-128)