San Bernardino (LST-1189)
Saw Bernardino (LST-1189) (q.v.) was named after a county and city in California. She was laid down on 12 July 1969 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 28 March 1970; sponsored by Mrs. Walter H. Baumberger; and commissioned on 27 March 1971, Comdr. Francis L. Roach in command.
Following commissioning, San Bernardino was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, with the home port of San Diego, Calif. Into 1980, the tank landing ship has alternated amphibious training operations along the west coast of the United States with regular, sustained deployments to the western Pacific.
San Bernardino earned one battle star for Vietnam service.
San Bernardino (LST-1189) in January 1973. Her retracted bow ramp can be seen on deck. Heavy transport helicopters operate from the flight deck abaft her unusual odd-sized staggered stacks. The vehicle deck in the Newport-class, as in earlier LST's, extends nearly the length of the ship. Conventional vehicles land on the beach over the bow ramp, while amphibious types can debark offshore through a stern gate.