A city in California.
(PG-59: dp. 1,768 (f.); l. 240'2"; b. 36'4"; dr. 15'11"; s. 17 k.; cpl. 107; a. 2 3", 2 40mm.)
Vanda, a diesel-powered yacht, was built in 1928 by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine; accepted for Navy use after the United States entered World War II; assigned the name San Bernardino by the Navy on 13 January 1942; officially acquired by the Navy from Mr. Ernest E. Dane on 20 January 1942; converted to a gunboat by the Thames Shipyard, Inc., New London, Conn.; and commissioned on 2 June 1942, Lt. Comdr. George L. Burns in command.
Sailing from New York on 4 July 1942, San Bernardino (PG-59) transited the Panama Canal and arrived at Pearl Harbor on 6 August. During the remainder of World War II, she worked as a weather station ship at Oahu, Midway, Johnston, Canton, and Palmyra Islands. Departing Pearl Harbor on 4 November 1945, she arrived at San Francisco on the 12th and was decommissioned on 4 January 1946. Struck from the Navy list on 8 May, she was transferred to the Maritime Commission on 15 October for disposal.