Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Samson

 

The first two Samsons retained their former names during their naval service. The third was named for the Israelite judge who was noted for his great physical strength.

 

III

 

Monitor, Chickasaw, (q.v.) was renamed Samson on 15 June 1869 but resumed the name Chickasaw on 10 August 1869.