The Indian chief recognized as the first to welcome the Pilgrims, and a firm friend of the Pilgrims at Plymouth Colony.
(Harbor Tug No. 5: displacement 225; length 92'6"; beam 21'; draft 8'9" (mean); speed 12 knots)
The first Samoset (Harbor Tug No. 5), a steel-hull, single-screw tug, was laid down at the Norfolk (Va.) Navy Yard on 13 January 1895 and launched on 20 March 1897.
Designated YT-5 in 1920, Samoset spent her entire career on the Atlantic coast, and was assigned to the 4th Naval District, based at the Philadelphia Navy Yard [Naval Shipyard post-July 1945], for more than thirty years. On 5 October 1942, the name Samoset was canceled and she was known only as YT-5 until redesignated as a medium harbor tug, YTM-5, in 1944. On 8 November 1945, the office of the Chief of Naval Operations requested that the Commandant of the 4th Naval District place YTM-5 out of service and declare her as surplus upon receipt of the big harbor tug Wabanaquot (YTB-525). Consequently, YTM-5 was placed out of service on 26 July 1946.
Found surplus to navy needs and thus made available for disposal, YTM-5 was stricken from the Naval [Vessel] Register on 30 December 1946, and delivered to the Maritime Commission at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard on 9 January 1947.