Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Salmon Falls River

 

A river in Maine and New Hampshire forming, in part, the boundary between those states. It joins the Cocheco River to form the Piscataqua River.

 

(LSMR-530: dp. 1,187; 206'3"; b. 35'; dr. 7'; s. 268 13 k.; cpl. 138; a. 1 5", 4 4.2" M., 4 40mm., 8 20mm., 10 rkt; cl. LSMR-501)

 

LSMR-530, ex-LSM-530, was built by Brown Shipbuilding Co., Inc., Houston, Tex., in June and July 1945: launched on 7 July; and commissioned on 20 September.

 

Built as a modified LSM (Landing Ship, Medium) and equipped with multiple rocket launchers to give close beach support during amphibious assault operations; LSMR-530 underwent trials and amphibious training out of Little Creek, Va., following her commissioning. However, due to reduced needs of the Navy with the end of World War II, she was placed out of commission—in reserve in March 1946. She subsequently was berthed with the Green Cove Springs Group of the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. She was renamed Salmon Falls River (LSMR-530) on 1 October 1955. She remained there until she was struck from the Navy list on 1 October 1958 and scrapped.