Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Sakonnet

 

An inlet on the Atlantic coast of Rhode Island.

 

(AOG-61: dp. 2,700 (f.) ; l. 220'6"; b. 37'; dr. 13'1"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 62; a. 1 3", 2 40mm., 3 20mm.; cl. Sequatchie; T. T1-M-A2)

 

Sakonnet (AOG-61) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 789) on 1 May 1943 by Todd Galveston Dry Docks, Inc., Galveston, Texas; launched on 1 December 1943; sponsored by Miss Adele Geer; and commissioned on 20 November 1944, Lt. Comdr. Raymond P. LeViness in command.

 

Sakonnet departed Galveston in December 1944 and sailed, via the Panama Canal, to the Aleutians. Arriving in February 1945, she operated in the Aleutians until the end of World War II and returned to San Francisco on 18 September. She was decommissioned on 26 October 1945; struck from the Navy list on 13 November 1945; and returned to the Maritime Commission on 1 July 1946.