Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Sagawamick

 

A Chippewa village on the shores of Lake Mille Lacs in Minnesota.

 

(YTB-522: dp. 237; l. 100'; b. 25'; dr. 11'6"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 8; cl. Hisada)

 

Sagawamick (YTB-522) was laid down on 22 March 1945 by the Gibbs Gas Engine Co., Jacksonville, Fla.; launched on 21 June 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Sherman R. Mears; and placed in service on 22 July 1945.

 

From 1945 until the fall of 1953, Sagawamick served as a tug in the vicinity of Charleston, S.C. In December 1953, she rounded the Florida peninsula; and, on the 23d, began operations at the Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Fla. She was redesignated YTM in February 1962; and, into 1974, she provides towing and fire fighting services along the Florida and Alabama coasts and furnishes logistic support to carriers assigned training duties out of Pensacola.