Any of several anacardiaceous trees, shrubs, or woody vines.
(Str.: dp. 887; l. 169'; b. 30'; dr. 11'9"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 32)
Sumac was built in 1903 at Port Richmond, N.Y., for the United States Lighthouse Service and utilized by that organization at Milwaukee, Wis.
Sumac was not commissioned in the Navy, but jurisdiction over her was transferred to the Navy Department in April 1917, and she was assigned patrol duty in the 9th Naval District. Sumac was returned to the Lighthouse Service on 14 May 1919.
On 3 April 1943, before her keel was laid down, Sumac (YN-73) was renamed Manchineel (q.v.).