Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Stromboli

 

An island, about three miles long and two and one-half miles wide, in the Tyrrhenian Sea. The island has been known since antiquity for volcanic activity and possesses a constantly active volcano.

 

(Brig:  t. 180; Ibp. 80'; b. 22'8"; dph. 8'; a. 1 10" columbiad)

 

In 1846, the Navy purchased brig Howard at Boston to strenghen its forces for the Mexican War. Commissioned on 18 March 1847 as bomb brig Stromboli, the ship sailed for the Gulf of Mexico under the command of Comdr. William S. Walker.

 

Stromboli performed blockade duty in the Bay of Compeche, especially off the mouth of the Coatzacoalcos River. In mid-June, she sailed to the mouth of the Tabasco River. On the 14th, she and Bonita were towed across the bar into the river as Commodore Perry's squadron occupied Frontera. The force then moved upstream and took Tabasco the following' day.

 

Stromboli later returned to blockade duty off the mouth of the Coatzacoalcos. That summer, the ship's crew was stricken by yellow fever, but she continued to help guard the Army water communications through the winter and spring.

 

In July 1848, Stromboli sailed home, and she was decommissioned on 6 September 1848. She was sold later that year.

 

_________

 

Torpedo Boat Stromboli was renamed Spuyten Duyvil (q.v.) on 19 November 1861.

 

_________

 

Light draft monitor Wassuc (q.v.) was renamed Stromboli on 15 June 1869.