Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Stranger

 

(Yacht: dp. 369; l. 164'7" (wl.) ; b. 23'7"; dr. 9'3" (mean) ; s. 14 k.; cpl. 57; a. 2 3-pdr. rf.)

 

Stranger, a yacht built at Philadelphia, Pa., in 1880 by William Cramp & Sons, was purchased by the Navy in 1898 during the Spanish-American War and placed in commission on 30 June 1898. The yacht was decommissioned on 24 September 1898 and assigned to the Louisiana Naval Militia on 16 November. She served with the Louisiana Naval Militia for almost 17 years. On 23 October 1915, her name was struck from the Navy list and she was sunk soon afterward.