Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Stevens' Battery

 

Between 1842 and 1862, the sons of John Stevens started construction of three “shot and shell proof” armored steamers; but they never completed the first two. The second, begun in 1854, was known as Stevens' Battery.

 

The third, built under the name E. A. Stevens, was acquired by the Revenue Service under the name Naugatuck (q.v.) and loaned to the Navy for service in the Civil War.