Stephen R. Jones
(Id. No. 4526: dp. 10,200; l. 354'2"; b. 49'; dr. 23'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 71; a. 2 3")
Stephen R. Jones was built in 1915 by the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry dock Co., Newport News, Va. The ship was owned and operated by the Boston firm, Crowell & Thurlow, as the cargo ship SS Stephen R. Jones. She was acquired by the Navy at Philadelphia, Pa., on 3 May 1918 and commissioned as a Naval Overseas Transportation Service ship. She was immediately refitted for naval service; loaded with a cargo of Army supplies; and ordered to Norfolk.
Stephen R. Jones joined a convoy at Hampton Roads and sailed for France on the 18th. She arrived at Brest on 5 June hut, due to the congestion of shipping there, was routed to Bordeaux to off-load her cargo. She returned to Philadelphia on 10 July; loaded supplies; and returned to St. Nazaire on 18 August. After unloading, she moved to Le Verdon for ballast and departed there with a convoy on 25 August bound for Philadelphia. The cargo ship made two more round trips to France and arrived at Philadelphia from the latter on 3 March 1919.
Stephen R. Jones was routed to Virginia; and, on 8 March 1919, she was decommissioned and returned to her owner at Newport News.