A town and river in Georgia and a county in Maryland. The first St. Mary's was named for the community in Georgia. The second, third, and fourth ships of that name were named for the county in Maryland. The third St. Mary's retained her former name.
(SP-1457: l. 49'; b. 12'; dr. 3' (mean); s. 8 mph.)
The third St. Mary's, a motor boat built in 1912 by Ruark of Hooper's Island, Md., for the Maryland Conservation Commission, was acquired by the Navy on 17 August 1917 for section patrol duty; designated SP-1457; and placed in service on 17 October, Chief Master at Arms A. P. Cullinson in charge.
Assigned to the Baltimore Section, 5th Naval District, St. Mary's patrolled the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River between Point Lookout and the mouth of the St. Mary's River until 25 November 1918. The following day, she was placed out of service and returned to the Maryland Conservation Commission at Wynne, Md.