A town and river in Georgia and a county in Maryland. The first St. Mary's was named for the community in Georgia. The second, third, and fourth ships of that name were named for the county in Maryland. The third St. Mary's retained her former name.
(Galley: keel length 52 feet; beam 15 feet; depth 5 feet 8 inches; complement 28; armament 1 24-pounder gun, 5 brass howitzers)
The galley St. Mary's was built on the St. Mary's River in Georgia in 1798. One of seven galleys constructed and equipped by the Navy for operation under the War Department on coast defense duty during the Quasi-War with France, St. Mary's officers were appointed by the Secretary of the Navy, while the remainder of her crew was composed of local recruits.
Able to maneuver under oars in the absence of wind, the galley was ideally suited for the defense of the many inlets and small harbors along the coast of the southern United States. In addition to defending settlements and waterways, her duty was to prevent hostile raids, depredations and to take or destroy any armed French vessels encountered.
St. Mary's cruised off the Georgia coast from 1798 to 1801, protecting local commerce and watching for any French privateers. She was transferred to the Revenue Cutter Service late in 1801.
25 May 2004