Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

St. Joseph

 

A bay on the gulf coast of Florida named by the Spanish.

 

________

 

The name St. Joseph (ACV-50) was assigned to MC hull 261, a converted C3-S-A1, on 23 August 1942. She was laid down on 25 March 1943 by the Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash.; redesignated CVE-50 on 15 July; launched on 21 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. W.W. Smyth; transferred to the United Kingdom under Lend Lease agreement on 22 December 1943; and commissioned the same day as Ruler (D.72) in the Royal Navy.

 

HMS Ruler served in the North Atlantic during 1944 protecting the vital flow of men and war materiel from the United States to England and to fighting fronts on the European continent. In early 1945, she transferred to the Pacific Theatre and supported the campaign to take Okinawa.

 

After the war ended, Ruler returned to the United States at Norfolk, Va., on 28 January 1946; was decommissioned from RN service on 29 January; and was accepted by the U.S. Navy the same day. In excess of the Navy's needs, she was slated for disposal and struck from the Navy list on 20 March 1946. She was sold on 13 May and scrapped within the year.