Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

St. Johns River

 

A river in Florida.

 

(LSMR-526: dp. 1,804; l. 206'3"; b. 34'6"; dr. 6'8"; s. 12.6 k.; cpl. 138; a. 1 5", 10 rkt. launc., 2 twin 40mm., 8 20mm., 4 4.2" M.; cl. LSMR-501)

 

St. Johns River (LSMR-526) was originally authorized as LSM-526. Reclassified LSMR-526 on 21 April 1945, she was laid down on 19 May by the Brown Shipbuilding Co., Inc., Houston, Tex.; launched on 16 June; and commissioned on 22 August 1945.

 

Reporting for shakedown on 29 August, she conducted training operations along the Atlantic Coast, spaced by in-port periods until April 1946 when she reported to the Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla. LSMR-526 was decommissioned on 28 May 1946. On 1 October 1955, she was named St. Johns River. Struck from the Navy list on 1 October 1958, she was sold on 4 August to the Fleet Storage Corp.