Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Spry

 

(PG-64: dp. 925; l. 205'2"; b. 33'; dr. 14'7"; s. 16.5 k.; cpl. 87; a. 1 4", 1 3", 2 20mm., 2 dct., 4 dcp.; cl. Temptress)

 

Spry (PG-64) was launched as HMS Hibiscus on 6 April 1940 by Harland and Wolff, Ltd., Belfast, Northern Ireland; served in the Royal Navy until 1942; was transferred to the United States Navy at Leith, Scotland, on 2 May 1942; and was commissioned the same day, Lt. Maxim W. Firth in command.

 

One of a group of corvettes acquired by the United States Navy under reverse Lend-Lease, Spry sailed from Londonderry, Northern Ireland, on 20 May 1942 as escort for a convoy bound for Argentia. After overhaul at Boston, she arrived at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, on 1 August and escorted convoys between that port and Trinidad until shifted to the convoy route between Trinidad and Recife, Brazil, in January 1943. Following an overhaul at Charleston, S.C., she arrived at Boston in June 1944 and commenced a year of convoy escort and weather patrol duty between Newfoundland, Greenland, and Iceland. Spry was decommissioned in England on 20 August 1945, returned to the Royal Navy on 26 August and struck from the Navy list on 17 September 1945. She was sold in 1947 by the British into mercantile service as Madonna and was scrapped at Hong Kong in 1955.